A gardener’s work is never done. Here are some winter projects for gardeners in northern climates:
- Dormant spray fruit trees, cotoneaster, dogwoods, and other deciduous shrubs and trees.
- Prune your deciduous trees and shrubs.
- Save fireplace ashes to use as fertilizer on iris and other alkaline soil plants.
- If the ground is not frozen or too wet, this is a good time to turn soil. Turning exposes insect eggs to birds and winter effects. Freezing will break apart heavy dirt clods creating more friable soil for spring planting.
- Make cuttings from forsythia, quince, and jasmine and bring into the house as sprays to provide early blooms in your home.