Who doesn’t love pizza for breakfast? Especially the kind you don’t have to feel guilty about for the rest of the day.
Breakfast Fruit Pizza
(Makes 8 servings)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup natural bran flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola or sunflower oil
- 1 (15-ounce) container part-skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 kiwi fruit, pared and sliced
- 1/2 cup apricot jam, if desired
Preheat oven to 425 F. Combine flour, cereal, 1 tablespoon honey, and baking powder. Add milk and oil. Stir with fork until mixture forms ball. With greased fingers, press dough into 14-inch round pizza pan or 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan sprayed with nonstick spray or greased lightly. Shape edge to form rim. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Combine ricotta, remaining 1 tablespoon honey, and vanilla. Spread over crust. Arrange fruit over cheese mixture in any desired pattern. Heat apricot jam over low heat, stirring constantly until softened. Spoon over fruit to glaze.
Boost vitamins, antioxidants, and color by adding grapes, cherries, or seasonal berries.
Per serving: 1/8 pie
Fat: 9.2 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
Sodium: 163 mg
Carbohydrate: 51.5 g
Protein: 10.4 g
This recipe is from The Saturday Evening Post Antioxidant Cookbook by Cory SerVaas, M.D. © 1995 The Saturday Evening Post Society. All rights reserved.