“All you need to do is just look at the photo … oh, baby. Grill the vegetables ahead of time if you have folks coming over, and for more fun, allow everyone to make their own sandwiches.” —Emeril Lagasse
Grilled Vegetable and Goat Cheese Sandwich
- 1 large globe eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- 4 bell peppers of assorted colors
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 medium red onions cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 1 large zucchini, cut on the diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 large yellow squash, cut on the diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces soft, mild goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 loaf ciabatta, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Place eggplant slices on wire rack and sprinkle lightly with salt on both sides. Set rack aside until eggplant begins to “sweat,” about 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, brush all sides of peppers with olive oil. Grill peppers, turning occasionally, until blistered and lightly charred on all sides. Place in bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside to steam while grilling remaining vegetables.
Cut onions into ½-inch-thick rounds, and insert toothpicks horizontally through slices to hold them together on grill. Pat eggplant slices dry with paper towels. Brush both sides of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and red onion slices with remaining olive oil and place on large baking sheet or platter. Season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Grill vegetables, in batches if necessary, until lightly charred on edges and nicely marked on both sides, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer grilled vegetables to platter and set aside.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc..