(Makes 6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil margarine
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds boneless lean lamb stew meat
(shoulder or neck) cut into small pieces
- 1 cup Beef Broth (see recipe)
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 4 whole cloves
- Bouquet garni*
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- Flour (as needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- Fresh parsley, chopped
Melt margarine in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, stirring constantly, sauté until golden. Sprinkle with paprika, continuing to stir until blended. Add meat, stirring frequently until browned.
Remove lamb and onions to stew pot or casserole with lid. Add Beef Broth and tomato purée to margarine remaining in skillet. Blend thoroughly. Pour mixture over meat and onions. Add cloves, bouquet garni, and potatoes. Bring to boil 1 minute. Reduce heat until liquid barely simmers. Cover, continue simmering 1 hour.
Add peas, mushrooms, and carrots. Simmer 15 minutes more, or until peas are heated through. Remove bouquet garni. Thicken, if necessary, with a little flour mixed with cold water. Add seasonings, stir in sour cream. Heat to very hot, being careful not to boil. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with dark bread such as pumpernickel.
* A bouquet garni contains the aromatic herbs and spices, used to flavor soups, stews, and sauces. Tie favorite fresh or dried herbs and spices in cheesecloth bag or tea ball. Remove the garni after cooking.
Per Serving: about 2 cups
Fat: 24.3 gm
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 565 mg
Carbohydrate: 68.6 gm
Protein: 37.6 gm
Recipe from The Saturday Evening Post Antioxidant Cookbook, © The Saturday Evening Post Society. All rights reserved.