If you’re tired of chili, try this recipe, which will give you southwestern flavors but a different texture.
Black & Brown Fiesta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning Blend
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup instant brown Minute rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tomato, chopped
- low-fat sour cream, one dollop per serving
Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and saute, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute about 3 to 5 more minutes or until peppers and onions are slightly soft. Add broth, water, and seasonings and stir. Add beans and stir. Bring to boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Divide into 4 servings and top each serving with a portion of cheese, chopped tomato, and sour cream.
[As a side dish, serve with grilled chicken, fish, or lean pork. As an entree, divide portions into 3 instead of 4 and serve in shallow dish over generous portion of shredded lettuce.]