Did you know a serving of kiwifruit has more potassium than a banana? Ideal for maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance and for releasing energy during exercise, these fuzzy little fruits add more than just color and flavor to your favorite dishes.
(Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3 California kiwifruit
- 1 yellow or orange pepper
- 1 cup colorful cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, preferably spicy
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
In small saucepan, lightly salt water then bring to boil. Add couscous, stir, cover and remove from heat. Let stand until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Peel kiwi and cut into chunks. Dice pepper and slice large cherry tomatoes in half. Pit olives if needed and thinly slice green onions. Place all in a medium bowl.
Whisk vinegar with oil, garlic, oregano and pinches salt and pepper. When couscous has cooled, gently stir with kiwifruit mixture. Toss with dressing to coat. Stir in feta and basil. Salad will keep refrigerated for 1 to 2 days.