When using an electric toothbrush, you don’t expect parts of it to pop off and chip your tooth, fly into your eyes, or get stuck in your throat. But that’s exactly what has happened to some users of the battery-powered Arm & Hammer Spinbrush—or the Crest Spinbrush, as it was called before 2009.
All models of the electric Spinbrush can break into small parts and cause potentially serious problems, according to the FDA that regulates toothbrushes as medical devices intended to help prevent tooth decay.
The safety alert applies to the following products:
- Spinbrush Proclean
- Spinbrush ProClean Recharge
- Spinbrush Pro Whitening
- Spinbrush SONIC
- Spinbrush SONIC Recharge
- Spinbrush Swirl
- Spinbrush Classic Clean
- Spinbrush For Kids
- Spinbrush Replacement Heads
“FDA’s concern is that the unexpected release of any part of this battery-powered toothbrush during use poses a risk of injury,” says Steven Silverman, director of the Office of Compliance in FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health. “And the risk is higher in children or adults who may need assistance but are not supervised while using the toothbrush.”
Parents, caregivers, and consumers are urged to routinely check for damaged or loose bristles before turning on the Spinbrush, and to make sure the brush head is connected tightly to the handle.
“It’s important that consumers know how to avoid the risks associated with using the Spinbrush,” says Shumaya Ali, M.P.H., a consumer safety officer at the Food and Drug Administration. “We’ve had reports in which parts of the toothbrush broke off during use and were released into the mouth with great speed, causing broken teeth and presenting a choking hazard.”
Suspect a problem? Call Spinbrush manufacturer Church & Dwight Company, Inc. at 800-352-3384 or 800-561-0752.
Source: FDA Consumer Health Information
FDA Safety Notice: Please remember to replace your brush head after 3 months of use, or if the brush is damaged, or if parts become loose. Extended usage, loose parts or excessive wear could lead to brush head breakage, generation of small parts and possible choking hazard. Inspect brush for loose parts before use.