Stay sane and balanced with daily poses from celebrity yoga master and instructor Rodney Yee. “Balance can be found in a single breath cycle. So don’t delay—get a moment of peace with three poses that help my sanity and open me to the inner and outer worlds,” says Yee.
Side Bending Pose
1. Stand with feet parallel and hip-width apart. Reach arms overhead. Ground body strongly with both heels.
2. Hold right wrist with left hand. Exhale and bend to left side, stretching both sides of torso. Inhale and return to standing position. Repeat for 30 seconds.
3. Hold left wrist with right hand. Exhale and bend to right side. Inhale and return to standing position. Repeat for 30 seconds.
4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3.
Downward Facing Dog
1. Come to all fours with hips directly over knees and shoulders directly over hands.
2. Turn toes under and lift knees off ground.
3. With legs slightly bent, push hands firmly into ground and move hips toward wall behind you. Feel the extension from your index finger to your sitting bones. Without compromising this extension, straighten legs as much as possible.
4. Hold posture for 1 to 2 minutes, noticing your breath and making micro-movements to find ease and alignment.
1. Sit on ground with soles of feet together and knees dropped open to opposite sides. (Do not push knees down, but instead feel the release deep inside hip sockets.)
2. Place hands beside hips and extend side seams of waist, lifting chest and creating ease in lower back.
3. Hold ankles and bend slightly forward, keeping a feeling of length in front body while breathing easy and complete.
4. Hold posture for 1 to 2 minutes with a sense of discovery and play.
Rodney Yee’s latest DVD is A.M. & P.M. Yoga for Beginners with Colleen Saidman. (Gaiam) Buy it from Amazon.