Melissa d’Arabian, host of Food Network’s Ten Dollar Dinners (also the title of her new book), believes no one has to sacrifice great taste or eating well for budget.
This side dish is a great complement to Melissa’s entree Sole, Zucchini, and Tomato Napoleon with Tomato-Caper Crudo. And finish the feast with one of Melissa’s desserts such as Lemon-Ginger Pudding or the tried-and-true Buttery Shortbread.
Rice with Fresh Herbs
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 ½ cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra if desired
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, chives, cilantro, mint, tarragon, or combination of many
- Bring large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add rice and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain through fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Shake sieve to drain as much water as possible.
- Melt butter in large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add rice and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and stir with heatproof rubber spatula to coat all rice with butter. Once rice is warmed through, about 3 minutes, transfer rice to serving bowl and add herbs plus additional salt, if desired. Stir with fork to incorporate and fluff rice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Total fat: 6.2g
Saturated Fat: 4g