“You have to stay hydrated at all costs, especially if you’re diabetic, but at some point chugging all those endless bottles of water becomes downright tiresome,” says chef and type 1 diabetic Sam Talbot. So he and his kitchen staff created this refreshing beverage, which he describes as a “mojito-esque Kool-Aid thing,” for his new book The Sweet Life: Diabetes Without Boundaries.
- 1 cup halved red or green seedless grapes
- ½ cup blueberries
- 12 mint leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 liter club soda
- Crushed ice
- In a large plastic bag, combine the grapes and blueberries. Freeze overnight.
- Have 4 glasses set and ready. In a beverage shaker, combine the mint leaves, frozen blueberries and grapes, and 4 of the lemon wedges. Grind together with a muddler or pestle until combined.
- Divide the fruit mixture evenly among the 4 glasses. Top with crushed ice and club soda, garnish with a lemon wedge, and chill out.
Total Fat: None!
This recipe is just one of 75 recipes featuring fresh, all natural foods in Sam Talbot’s new book The Sweet Life. Photo and recipe are courtesy of The Sweet Life: Diabetes Without Boundaries © 2012 Sam Talbot. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.