There is something immensely satisfying about the combination of simple greens, toasted nuts, fresh oranges, and goat cheese.
Orange, Walnut, and Goat Cheese Salad
(Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 medium oranges, reserve juice
- 8 ounces mesclun salad greens or spring greens mix
- 2 shallots, cut into thin rings (about ⅟₃ cup)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- 3 ounces soft, mild goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread walnuts on small baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly colored, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside until cooled slightly.
- Cut away peels from oranges, leaving no white pith. Holding over small bowl, segment oranges, catching any juices. In large bowl, combine greens, orange segments, and shallot rings.
- In small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of reserved orange juice. Whisk to combine. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, tossing to coat evenly. Add goat cheese and chopped walnuts, and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately.