Be an urban farmer and grow red, white, and blue organic potatoes to serve up at an all-American reunion, picnic, or other gathering. (And do we love potatoes: A typical American eats 127 pounds of them each year or about one spud per day.) All you need is a black plastic trash bag, potting soil, seed potatoes from a local or online gardening store, water, straw, and a sunny spot outdoors. Then, follow these easy instructions from Garden Girl TV producer and HGTV host Patti Moreno’s new book Gardening by Cuisine (Sterling Publishing).
How to Grow Red, White, and Blue Potatoes
3. Water soil thoroughly and top with straw.
4. Continue to water regularly.
5. Once plants are 8 inches tall, add 4 more inches of soil, water thoroughly, and top with straw.
6. As plants grow, continue adding soil and straw until bag is filled to within 2 inches of top.
7. After four months, you should have full-size potatoes to eat.