Plant tasty cereal grasses for cats, birds, and rabbits. Bonus: You’ll add a splash of green to a sunny spot in your home or yard.
- 6-inch-diameter pots with good drainage
- Packets of edible grass seeds (see Tip)
- Potting soil
- Fill pots with moistened potting soil, leaving 1-inch space at top.
- Sprinkle seeds ¼ inch apart over surface.
- Cover seeds with ½-inch of soil, and water gently.
- Keep soil moist. Grasses are ready to nibble in about 10 days when blades are a few inches tall.
Tip:You can find grasses at a local nursery or online. Renee Shepherd, the master gardener behind reneesgarden.com, sells a blend of four gourmet cat greens for $2.79 that includes rye, oat, barley, and wheat grasses.