Greek-Style Lamb Kebabs
(Makes 8 servings)
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless leg or shoulder of lamb [lean], cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 bamboo skewers
- 8 pita breads, warmed, for serving
- Feta spread, for serving
- In large bowl, combine onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, mint, salt, cumin, paprika, pepper, and olive oil. Stir well.
- Add lamb and toss to coat with marinade.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Soak skewers in warm water for about 1 hour before assembling kebabs.
- Preheat grill to high, and lightly oil grate.
- Thread lamb onto soaked skewers, and place them on grill. Cook, turning frequently to promote even browning, for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Wrap pita bread around meat on skewer, and while holding bread firmly around meat, twist skewer out of meat.
- Drizzle meat with feta spread to your liking. Repeat with remaining pitas and skewers, and enjoy!
Per Serving (pita bread not included)
Total fat: 28 g
Saturated fat: 10 g
Sodium: 655 mg
Carbohydrate: 5 g
Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 20.2 g
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1 nonstarchy vegetable
Greek-Style Lamb Kabobs and Feta Spread by Emeril Lagasse, from Emeril at the Grill: A Cookbook for All Seasons, Harper Studio Publishers, New York, 2009, courtesy Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc.; Photo by Steven Freeman