You can use this chilled side to complement almost any summer meal, especially at backyard cookouts. Here’s one meal idea: Add baby red potatoes—cut in half and brushed with a bit of olive oil. Then, sprinkle them with some fresh chopped herbs or dust with dried Italian seasoning, and bake. Serve sides with a slice of lean pork roast.
Cool Cauliflower Salad
(Makes 6 servings)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- ½ cup celery, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Steam cauliflower florets 6 to 7 minutes or until desired tenderness. In large bowl, combine cauliflower and celery.
- In small mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Whisk together to mix well. Pour dressing mixture over vegetable mixture and toss gently to thoroughly coat.
- Cover and chill 2 or more hours. Serve chilled.
Total fat: 2.5 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Carbohydrate: 6 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 2 g
Sodium: 55 mg