West End Farmers Market is located in northwest St. Louis in an area with limited access to fresh produce. The International Institute, offering comprehensive adjustment services for refugees and immigrants in the community, has two farms for food-growing. There, recent refugees from a variety of countries including Burundi, Bhutan, Burma, Ethiopia, Morocco, Nepal, Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Kenya, and Somalia grow produce, which is in turn sold at the market. Market sales benefit the farmers and the refugees who have resettled in the community where the market is located, and increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables for the community at large.
Christy, a patron of the market who is excited about the affordable foods available in her neighborhood, shares one of her culinary adventures with seasonal produce: a versatile recipe for cooked greens. You can add smoked turkey, bacon, or tofu. Serve them over quinoa, corn bread, whole wheat pasta, or brown rice. Or, add cooked greens to tacos with black beans, cheese, and salsa.
- 1 head mustard greens
- 2 cups kale
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ½ head iceberg lettuce
- 1 turnip
- 4 medium cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Remove hard stems from kale and mustard greens (leave stems if desired).
- Stack leaves on top of each other. Use knife to slice mustard greens, spinach, and kale into ¼-inch strips. Slice iceberg lettuce, but keep separate from other greens.
- In large bowl filled with cold water, add cut greens. Allow dirt to settle to bottom of bowl. Lift greens out of bowl. Shake off excess water. Repeat step with lettuce.
- Peel and mince garlic. Peel and slice turnip. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil.
- Add mustard greens, spinach, and kale.
- Stir greens until wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and turnip. Cook until greens are soft and excess water is gone, about 5-7 minutes. Add iceberg lettuce, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.