Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health—and your appearance! Follow these tips to help you kick the deadly nicotine habit and look fabulous:
- Go for the glow. Smoking causes dry skin, wrinkles, and premature aging. For a rejuvenating facial, mash one cut-up banana with metal spoon. Add 1 tablespoon of honey and 10 drops of lemon juice and mix well. Apply to face and leave on for 15 minutes. Then, rinse well with warm water.
- Upgrade your muscles. Smoking can slow the body’s ability to build muscle up to 25 percent. Get strong with modified push-ups and lower body lunges.
- Smile brighter. Smoking means yellow teeth. For an economical teeth whitener, pour one teaspoon of baking soda into bowl and add 5 drops of hydrogen peroxide.
- Breathe deep. Smoking decreases lung capacity. Throughout the day, pause and take three full breaths (inhale and exhale completely) to exercise lungs and reduce stress.
- Start new routines. Old habits die hard. Katie Love, age 49, from Whittier, California, replaced her after-work smoke with exercise. Katie says: “After work, I used to read or play word games while smoking in my backyard. But since quitting, I absolutely cannot sit on the patio. Instead, I take a walk or ride my stationary bike, and I take pilates classes two nights a week. It’s true—the things you most associate with smoking are what you most need to avoid, and it’s totally worth it!”
Get a quit guide and makeover tips for hair, hands, home, and more at women.smokefree.gov.