The true name for a stuffing that is not actually stuffed into food is dressing. I don’t want to break any rules, but stuffing sounds so much more appetizing to me.
Leek and Herb Stuffing
(Makes 8 servings)
- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes, plus butter for baking dish
- 1 pound French or Italian bread, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), well rinsed and finely chopped
- 5 celery ribs, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 6 large sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 13″ x 9″ x 2″ baking dish.
- Spread bread on large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or just until dried but not browned. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, then add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until they soften.
- Add leeks, celery, thyme, and rosemary and cook, stirring often, for about 4 minutes, or until leeks are translucent.
- Stir in garlic and continue cooking, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown. Add wine and cook for about 2 minutes, or until wine has evaporated but vegetables are still very moist.
- Add broth and butter, bring to simmer, and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Transfer to large bowl and let cool slightly; remove and discard rosemary and thyme stems.
- Stir parsley into leek mixture. Add bread cubes and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs.
- Spread stuffing in baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until stuffing is heated through and puffed.
- Remove foil and continue baking stuffing for about 40 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Total fat: 33 g
Saturated fat: 16 g
Carbohydrate: 35 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 9 g
Sodium: 420 mg