Hearty whole-grain bread is layered with a mixture of sautéed mushrooms, spinach, onions, and scallions. Unsweetened almond milk gives this dish rich flavor and can be a smart choice for people who have difficulty digesting lactose. As a substitute for calcium-rich dairy, be sure to look for brands that are fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
Cutting the breakfast casserole into squares around each piece of toast ensures neat portions. So bake up this veggie surprise and enjoy it with loved ones as you linger a little longer over breakfast.
Baked Eggs with Mushrooms and Spinach
(Makes 6 servings)
- 6 (1-ounce) slices whole-grain bread
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped, including green stems
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (any variety works, shiitake or crimini are especially good)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or low-fat milk
- ½ cup reduced-fat cheddar, part-skim mozzarella cheese or Jarlsberg cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or chives
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In toaster, lightly toast bread. Coat a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange toast in flat layer without overlapping.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add green onion and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook another 4 minutes. Stir in spinach and let wilt, about 2-3 minutes.
- Evenly spread mushroom and spinach mixture over toast.
- Crack an egg over each piece of toast. Lightly season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour milk over eggs and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until egg whites are set, about 28-30 minutes.
- Cut into 6 sections and serve hot. Garnish with parsley or chives, or fresh tomatoes and wedges of avocado, or place a sprig of fresh thyme, rosemary, or parsley on top of each serving.
Total fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Carbohydrate: 19 g
Fiber: 3.5 g
Protein: 13.5 g
Sodium: 309 mg