Strengthening your buns, hips, and thighs will allow you to work out better and longer. Wall sits are a simple yet effective exercise to help build your lower body. Freestyle ski champ Simon Dumont recommends wall sits and other exercises that focus on the lower body because, he says, your legs are the body’s base and key to all physical movement.
Watch the video and follow along as fitness instructor Molly Tittle from Invoke Studio in Indianapolis, Indiana, shows you how to get the most out of wall sits. (instructions follow).
Wall Sit Instructions
1. Stand about 24 inches from wall, feet shoulder-width apart.
2. Lean body flat against wall.
3. Bend knees, sliding down wall until body is at 90-degree angle to legs.
4. Hold for 30 seconds or as long as comfortable.
5. Return to standing position described in steps 1 and 2. Rest for 90 seconds.
Repetitions: Start with 5 reps. Work up to 10 repetitions and reduce the rest interval as you gain muscle control.