Dates add natural sweetness and extra fiber to this Kentucky Derby traditional dessert.
(Makes one 9-inch pie)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup date sugar or ½ cup finely chopped dates (optional)
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sorghum molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
Preheat oven to 350 F. In mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add date sugar or chopped dates, flour, and salt. Stir in molasses, melted butter or margarine, and vanilla extract. Stir in pecans. Pour into the pie shell and bake for 45 minutes. Cool the pie before cutting and serving it.
This recipe is from The Saturday Evening Post Fiber & Bran Better Health Cookbook by Cory SerVaas, M.D., Charlotte Turgeon, and Fred Birmingham. To order a copy of this cookbook, visit store.sepstore.org/cookbooks.html.
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now