Mixed Vegetable Casserole with Cheese
(Makes 8 servings)
- 1 head cauliflower or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cauliflower
- 1 pound fresh peas, shelled, or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1/2 pound small pearl onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brewer’s yeast (optional)
- 2/3 grated sharp Cheddar cheese
Prepare all vegetables. If using all fresh vegetables, which is preferable, wash cauliflower carefully and cut into florets, discarding all but tender stems. Steam vegetables separately until half cooked. Put into lightly buttered casserole or oven-serving dish.
Melt butter, stir in flour. Cook 2 minutes over low heat, add milk. Whisk vigorously until mixture is thick and smooth. Add cheese and continue to whisk until cheese melts. Add salt to taste. Remember vegetables have not been salted.
Pour sauce over vegetables, sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered at 350 F. for 20 to 25 minutes. Vegetables should be tender, not mushy.
Recipe from The Saturday Evening Post Fiber & Bran Better Health Cookbook, © The Saturday Evening Post Society. All rights reserved.
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now