We’ve had success with chicken and avocado before, so we were optimistic when we tried this simple recipe from Camilla V. Saulsbury’s 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking. The pairing did not disappoint. In this quick dish, a diced jalapeño gives the salsa just the right amount of heat.
Chicken with Cherry Tomato and Avocado Salsa
(Makes 4 servings.)
- 1 small firm-ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onions
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (each about 4 ounces)
- In a medium bowl, combine avocado, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, half the salt, and lime juice.
- Sprinkle chicken with the remaining salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees. Serve with avocado salsa.
Tip: Any leftover salsa can be tucked into a whole-wheat pita (perhaps with some spinach leaves or shredded lettuce) for a quick sandwich.
Total fat 12 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 561 mg
Carbohydrate 8 g
Fiber 4 g
Protein 29 g
Calcium 12 mg
Iron 2.2 mg
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now