In our Sep/Oct 2012 issue, Lewis Beale reveals why we love our movie gangsters. Read more about famous Hollywood stars portraying the real-life mobsters, then put your knowledge to the test and see where you rank in the trivia underworld with our Gangster Quiz!
- (Lewis Beale, Sep/Oct 2012)
- The classic toughs of the silver screen are the ultimate individualists. These are guys who know no boundaries when it comes to fulfilling their ambitions. For Americans, it’s a formula impossible to resist.
- (George Raft, September 21, 1957)
- Hollywood’s mysterious tough guy reveals he was once a gun-toting consort of underworld big shots. Here, finally, Raft tells the truth about his life as a young gangster.
- (Post editors, August 15, 1931)
- Post editors wonder if the arrest of Al Capone would lead to the end of the gangster era in books and film.
- (James Cagney, January 14, 1956)
- James Cagney knew what it was to flop on Broadway, but won overnight movie fame as a gangster who mashed his moll in the face with a grapefruit.
(Jerry Giesler, December 12, 1959)
- Jerry Giesler, a celebrated Hollywood lawyer, discloses how he sprang Bugsy Siegel from a murder charge in 1959.
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now