Holiday feasts can present a difficult challenge for the 2 million Americans with celiac disease, an intolerance of the protein gluten found in wheat, rye, and barley. If you or one of your guests are on a gluten-free diet, check out these crowd-pleasing holiday recipes.
Recipes from Glutenfreeda Online Magazine and Recipe Book.
Roasted Parsnips with Horseradish Herb Butter
(Makes 6 servings)
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken stock
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon prepared gluten-free horseradish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
Preheat oven to 400 F. In medium baking dish, toss parsnips and carrots with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken stock; cover with aluminum foil and roast. Stir once or twice until parsnips and carrots are tender and the stock has evaporated (about 45 minutes).
Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix butter, horseradish sauce, herbs, and garlic. Adjust seasonings to taste with salt and pepper. Toss roasted vegetables with horseradish butter. Serve.
Recipe from Glutenfreeda Online Magazine and Recipe Book.