Soup is the ultimate comfort food. Nothing tops a bowl of hearty soup to take the chill off a blustery winter’s day.
While every home cook can ladle out a family favorite, we invited celebrity chefs—Melissa d’Arabian, Emeril Lagasse, Ellie Krieger, Curtis Stone, and Terry Walters—to stir the proverbial pot by sharing simmering soup recipes from their kitchens.
This take on tomato soup uses ripe, roasted tomatoes for a sweet, rich flavor. Add a tasty grilled cheese sandwich for a winning combination!
Chef Emeril adds crispy kale to give this spicy stew, his childhood favorite, added texture and flavor.
Try this healthy version of a classic bean soup with chunks of ham on a cold winter night.
Curtis Stone’s take on this classic Italian soup is both hearty, healthy, and easy on your wallet.
This version of traditional chowder-style soups includes sweet potato and kale for a flavorful, filling meal.
My husband grew up in Michigan where long, cold winters mean warm, home-cooked meals are a must. This classic comfort soup combo of beans and ham is my take on one of his childhood favorites that will fulfill and warm you in every way; it’s healthy too!
Navy Bean Soup with Ham
(Makes 8 servings)
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon crumbled fresh sage
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces lean ham steak, cubed
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Pick over beans and discard any stones.
- Soak beans in cold water for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add carrot, celery, and sage and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, beef broth, water, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook until beans have begun to soften, about 1 hour.
- Add ham and cook, uncovered, until beans are soft and soup has thickened, about 30 minutes more.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Total fat: 4g
Recipe from Comfort Food Fix: Feel-Good Favorites Made Healthy by Ellie Krieger (John Wiley & Sons).