Bohemian Vegetable Soup
(Makes 8 to 10 servings)
- 2 gallons water or beef stock
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup turnip, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2-3 tablespoons tamari (soy sauce)
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Put water, beef stock, or water fortified with beef base into large pan, bring to boil. Add barley, simmer 1 hour.
Prepare vegetables, add them and tamari to soup. Cook until vegetables are almost tender.
Heat margarine in small saucepan. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute. Add 2 cups stock, stir until well blended. Add mixture to soup. Simmer until soup thickens. Taste for seasoning, adding more tamari if necessary. Serve in large tureen. Accompany with slabs of thick dark buttered bread.
Recipe from The Saturday Evening Post Fiber & Bran Better Health Cookbook, © The Saturday Evening Post Society. All rights reserved.