Marinated in orange, Madeira, ginger, and mustard, this pork proves that open-faced sandwiches aren’t just for kids.
Orange-Grilled Pork Sandwiches with Apricot Sauce
(Makes 4 servings)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Marinating Time: 24 hours
- 1 pound boneless single-loin pork roast
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 6 tablespoons Madeira
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange zest, grated
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 slices French bread, OR Italian bread, 1-inch thick, toasted
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- In small bowl, stir together preserves, 2 tablespoons Madeira, mustard, garlic and pepper; cover and refrigerate until needed. Place pork in self-sealing bag; add orange juice, remaining 1/4 cup Madeira, orange zest and ginger; seal bag and toss to coat pork. Refrigerate 8-24 hours.
- Prepare banked medium-hot fire in kettle-style grill. Remove pork from marinade, discarding marinade. Grill pork over indirect heat for 20-30 minutes, until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145°F. Remove roast from heat; let rest about 10 minutes. Thinly slice pork and place on toasted bread; top with apricot sauce; sprinkle with onion and cilantro.
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Carbohydrate: 44 g
Protein: 27 g
Sodium: 290 mg
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Pork Board.