Curtis Stone’s Green Bean and Cherry Tomato Gratin is a delicious way to add vegetables to your diet.
Green Bean and Cherry Tomato Gratin
(Makes 8 servings)
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. green beans, ends trimmed and cut diagonally in half
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced (¾ cup)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In food processor, pulse nuts for 10 seconds, or until they resemble fine crumbs. In medium bowl, mix nuts, panko, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Spread mixture on small baking sheet and toast in oven, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes, or until golden. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring large saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Add beans and cook 4 minutes, or until bright green and just tender. Drain and transfer beans to large bowl of ice water to cool completely, then drain well, pat dry, and transfer to large bowl.
- Heat medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add shallots and sauté 2 minutes or until tender and pale golden. Add capers and lemon zest and cook 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice and then add cherry tomatoes.
- Add tomato mixture to green beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and gently toss to mix. Transfer mixture to 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top.
- Bake gratin for about 12 minutes, or until heated through. Serve.
Make-Ahead: Recipe can be prepared through step 3 up to 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate, then proceed with step 4 when ready to assemble and bake gratin.
Total Fat: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 92 mg
Carbohydrate: 15 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 3.7 g
Diabetic Exchanges: ¼ starch, 2 vegetables, 4 fat
Excerpted from Good Food, Good Life by Curtis Stone. Copyright © 2015 by Curtis Stone. Excerpted by permission of Ballantine Books, a division of Random House LLC; Photo by Ray Kachatorian.