There’s a general rule in cooking that when fruits or vegetables ripen at the same time, they tend to pair well together. This is definitely true of apples and pomegranates. The sweetness of the former softens the bitter notes of the latter. In this delicious, easy-to-make sorbet, pomegranate juice also gives the mixture a beautiful pink color.
- 2 cups fresh apple cider
- 1 ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In medium saucepan over high heat, stir together juices, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Boil 5 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl, stir in lemon juice, cover, and chill in refrigerator (with the cinnamon stick) until cold.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. For a firmer texture, transfer to an airtight container and freeze an additional 2 hours.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from the U.S. Apple Association. All rights reserved.