For a boost of Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, and Vitamin E, try this healthy and delicious side dish.
Herbed Broccoli Salad
(Makes six cups)
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli medallions*
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
1. Combine oil, vinegar, thyme, basil, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper; set aside.
2. In medium saucepan, bring 2 inches water to boil.
3. Add medallions and carrots; simmer 2 minutes.
4. Add broccoli florets; simmer 1 minute.
5. Drain and place in bowl; toss with dressing. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until chilled.
6. Serve garnished with lettuce leaves, if desired.
*To make medallions, slice broccoli stems crosswise, ¼-inch thick.
Per Serving: about 1 cup
Fat: 4.9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 51 mg
Carbohydrates: 8.8 g
Protein: 2.4 g
This week’s featured recipe is from The Saturday Evening Post Antioxidant Cookbook by Cory SerVaas, M.D.
© 1995 The Saturday Evening Post Society. All rights reserved.
To order a copy of this book, visit store.sepstore.org/cookbooks.html