You’ll have brunch whipped up in a jiffy with this egg and salmon brunch combo. Most of us show up hungry for brunch, however, so put out a fruit platter, some yogurt and granola, or a spread of smoked salmon and bagels for your guests to nibble on when they arrive.
And be sure to pace the meal: People should feel like they could go for a hike after leaving the table.
Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Chives
(Makes 4 servings)
- 6 large eggs
- ⅔ cup light cream
- ½ cup 1-inch pieces fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 8 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 4 ounces cold-smoked salmon
- 4 lemon wedges
- Using fork, mix eggs, cream, chives, salt, and pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Melt butter in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add egg mixture to pan.
- Once eggs become just set on bottom of skillet, constantly stir egg mixture very slowly with silicone spatula, scraping the egg mixture from bottom of pan for 8 minutes, or until eggs are no longer runny.
- Toast sourdough bread, then spread with cream cheese.
- Place toast, cream cheese side up, on each plate and top with smoked salmon.
- Spoon the egg mixture over the toast, and serve with lemon wedges.
SERVING SIZE: ¼ total yield
Total fat: 28 g
Carbohydrate: 21 g
Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 22 g
Sodium: 769 mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch/carb, 1 lean-meat, 1.5 medium-fat meat, 0.5 low-fat milk, 3 fat
Photo by Quentin Bacon.