There is something immensely satisfying about the combination of simple greens, toasted nuts, fresh oranges, and goat cheese.
Orange, Walnut, and Goat Cheese Salad
(Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 medium oranges, reserve juice
- 8 ounces mesclun salad greens or spring greens mix
- 2 shallots, cut into thin rings (about ⅟₃ cup)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- 3 ounces soft, mild goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread walnuts on small baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly colored, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside until cooled slightly.
- Cut away peels from oranges, leaving no white pith. Holding over small bowl, segment oranges, catching any juices. In large bowl, combine greens, orange segments, and shallot rings.
- In small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of reserved orange juice. Whisk to combine. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, tossing to coat evenly. Add goat cheese and chopped walnuts, and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately.
“All you need to do is just look at the photo … oh, baby. Grill the vegetables ahead of time if you have folks coming over, and for more fun, allow everyone to make their own sandwiches.” —Emeril Lagasse
Grilled Vegetable and Goat Cheese Sandwich
- 1 large globe eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- 4 bell peppers of assorted colors
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 medium red onions cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 1 large zucchini, cut on the diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 large yellow squash, cut on the diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces soft, mild goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 loaf ciabatta, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Place eggplant slices on wire rack and sprinkle lightly with salt on both sides. Set rack aside until eggplant begins to “sweat,” about 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, brush all sides of peppers with olive oil. Grill peppers, turning occasionally, until blistered and lightly charred on all sides. Place in bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside to steam while grilling remaining vegetables.
Cut onions into ½-inch-thick rounds, and insert toothpicks horizontally through slices to hold them together on grill. Pat eggplant slices dry with paper towels. Brush both sides of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and red onion slices with remaining olive oil and place on large baking sheet or platter. Season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Grill vegetables, in batches if necessary, until lightly charred on edges and nicely marked on both sides, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer grilled vegetables to platter and set aside.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc..