Pork poached in ginger and orange juice is the center of this summer dinner salad. Serve with hot French bread.
Gingered Pork and Melon Salad
(Makes 4 servings)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 cups melon balls, cantaloupes, watermelon, honeydew or a mixture
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- ½ cup peach yogurt
- In medium saucepan combine orange juice and ginger; bring to a simmer and add pork cubes. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until pork is cooked. Remove pork and remaining liquid to bowl, refrigerate uncovered to cool slightly, about 5–10 minutes.
- In medium bowl gently toss together melon, papaya, Grand Marnier, pork cubes, and cooking liquid. On each of four plates place 1 ½ cups salad greens. Serve equal portions pork-melon mixture atop greens, topped with 2 tablespoons yogurt.
Total fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Carbohydrate: 27 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 28 g
Sodium: 85 mg
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Pork Board.