Of all the meals we serve in our homes, breakfast can be the one that gets us most in a rut—think cold cereal, pancakes, and eggs, over and over. So this dish is something to break the monotony. Plus, it tastes like a sweet, creamy dessert.
Berry Nutty Breakfast Parfait
(Makes 4 servings)
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon honey, softened by placing the jar in a pan of water over low heat
- 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat granola*
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts (pecans or almonds can be substituted)
*Note: Many commercial granola cereals have too much added sugar or honey. This breakfast recipe uses granola without dried fruit to show off the fresh berries, but you can use granola with dried fruit too. Either way, choose a granola with little added sugar and fat.
- Place berries in mixing bowl. Drizzle with softened honey and toss gently to coat.
- Spoon ¼ cup yogurt into four parfait glasses (tall, narrow wine glasses will do) and top with layer of berry mixture. Repeat layers with remaining yogurt and berry mix.
- Top with granola and nuts. Serve.
Total fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Carbohydrate: 41 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 10 g
Sodium: 118 mg