In honor of National Peach Month, we’d like to share this delicious peach pie from 350 Best Vegan Recipes by Deb Roussou.
Rustic Open-Faced Peach Pie
(Makes 6 to 8 servings)
- 4 cups peach halves in light syrup (1 28-ounce can)
- 8 ounces vegan frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- ⅓ cup raw sugar, divided
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons vegan hard margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon plain soy yogurt or other vegan yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain peaches, reserving ¼ cup syrup. Pat peaches dry, lay on a kitchen towel and set aside.
- On floured work surface, roll out puff pastry to a 16-inch square. Fit into 10-inch glass pie plate, letting pastry corners hang over edges. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Set aside 1 teaspoon raw sugar for topping and place remainder in food processor. Add almonds, margarine, vanilla bean paste, soy yogurt, nutmeg and salt and process for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides and process until fairly smooth, for 30 seconds more.
- Spread almond mixture in prepared crust, building up mixture a little higher around edges. Place peach halves, cut side down, on top of almond mixture. Press down lightly. Fold corners of pastry over top of peaches, scrunching square pastry to fit in round pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until almond filling (showing around peaches) looks dry and peaches have a slightly golden color, 45 to 50 minutes. If pastry seems to be browning too rapidly, cover edges with strips of foil. Let cool on rack 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place reserved peach syrup in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on High until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Brush syrup over peaches and sprinkle with reserved sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.