Winter blues got you down? Bring home a taste of the Aloha State with these delicious mini burgers that effectively combine savory and sweet. The juicy pineapple and the Hawaiian bread will make you feel like you’re lying on the beach sipping from a coconut. (Recipe and photo courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.)
Sweet Hawaiian Mini Burgers
(Makes 4 servings.)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 canned pineapple slices, drained
- 12 Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls, split
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Combine ground beef and Worcestershire sauce in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into twelve 1/2-inch thick mini patties. Set aside.
- Combine sauce ingredients in small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 9 to 11 minutes), turning occasionally, until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F.
- Meanwhile brush pineapple slices with sauce and place on grid around patties. Grill pineapple 4 minutes, turning once and brushing with additional sauce. Remove pineapple, keep warm. Brush burgers with remaining sauce after turning.
- Cut each pineapple slice into thirds. Line bottom of each roll with lettuce, top with burger, then with pineapple piece. Close sandwiches.