Few things are better and more nutritious than salmon combined with fresh baby spinach. You get the taste of the sea and a treat from the spring garden. The salad dressing in this dish adds layers of flavor: Orange juice adds sweetness and acidity; honey balances vinegar; and sesame and ginger impart a subtle Asian accent, while garlic and shredded carrots create a refreshing and tantalizing texture.
You can make it a meal by adding wild rice topped with lentils. Simply place warm rice on a plate and top with several heaping tablespoons of lentils heated with a bit of water or vegetable broth. Of course, you can always serve up some sides of any vegetable leftovers you have handy.
- 1 pound salmon, cut in four fillets
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder or 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon roasted sesame oil (or regular sesame oil)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 ounces baby spinach, rinsed clean
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- Whisk together marinade ingredients to combine well. In shallow dish, coat both sides of salmon with marinade. Cover dish and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Coat grill lightly with oil to prevent sticking. Remove salmon from marinade and discard remaining marinade. Place salmon, skin side down, on medium-hot grill. Cook about 6 minutes until skin is browned and crisp. Gently turn fillets over and cook additional 2-3 minutes until desired degree of doneness. Remove and set aside.
- Combine dressing ingredients in food processor or blender and pulse or blend until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Arrange salad ingredients on four serving dishes. Drizzle half the dressing on salad. Place salmon on top and drizzle remaining dressing. Serve.
Total fat: 13 g
Saturated fat: 2.5 g
Carbohydrate: 20 g
Protein: 21 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 400 mg