Whether you’re planning a springtime soiree or simply looking for a fresh snack that won’t pack on the pounds, these hummus and cucumber bites will fit the bill. The hummus is loaded with iron, protein, and fiber, and — while pita bread is the traditional accompaniment to hummus — cucumbers keep this dish light and low calorie.
The combination is an easy- and fun-to-make appetizer with a low glycemic index that you’ll want to serve up all season long. (This recipe is courtesy of Kalyn Denny’s food blog Kalyn’s Kitchen, which regularly features South Beach-friendly and low-glycemic recipes.)
Hummus and Cucumber Appetizer Bites
Recipe Yields 10-14 Appetizer Bites
- 1 Large Cucumber
- 1 Cup Hummus (Kalyn uses purchased hummus, but we recommend Madge’s Hummus.)
- Black or White Sesame Seeds
You will also need one small Ziploc bag or other thick plastic bag with one corner cut off.
1. If you are using European-style cucumbers (as Kalyn does), peel them in strips to leave some green color on. Otherwise, you should peel the skin off of regular grocery-store cucumbers.
2. Cut the cucumber into slices around 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick.
3. Put the hummus into a small Ziploc bag and cut off the corner. Use this like a pastry bag and squeeze it onto the top of each cucumber slice, just enough to slightly mound up but not so much that it starts to droop over.
4. Sprinkle the Hummus and Cucumber Bites with sesame seeds and serve.