Corn and Cheddar Cheese Chowder
(Makes 8 servings)
- 1 1/3 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 2/3 cups boiling salted water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 teaspoon sage
- 2/3 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- Corn kernels from 4 ears, or 2 cups canned corn
- 1 tablespoon brewer’s yeast (optional)
- 5 green onions (scallions), chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon each nutmeg, salt, cayenne
- 1 1/3 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Boil potatoes in salted water with bay leaf, sage, and cumin in covered saucepan 15 minutes.
In another pan, heat margarine and sauté onion until tender. Add flour, mix until blended. Add buttermilk. Whisk until mixture thickens, keeping heat very low. Pour mixture into potato mixture gradually, stirring constantly.
Add corn, yeast, green onions, nutmeg, salt, and cayenne. Simmer for 10 minutes, adding water if too thick. Add cheese, mix well and heat until melted, being careful not to let soup boil.
Serve in soup bowls garnished with chopped parsley.
Recipe from The Saturday Evening Post Fiber & Bran Better Health Cookbook, © The Saturday Evening Post Society. All rights reserved.
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now