A new DVD from Dr. Lisa, women’s health champion and co-host of the award-winning talk show The Doctors, orders up funky dance moves, strength exercises, and power stretches. “Yoga Blast is a fun blend of my favorite exercises. These workouts fit into any busy lifestyle, and can help people feel more flexible, empowered, and energized,” she says. Here’s a sampling:
Exercise: Push-Turns with Side-Steps Combo
- To pivot body counter-clockwise, stand with feet hip-width apart. Step left foot to front, swinging weight to left hip and then back to center.
- Continue by stepping left foot to left, back, and right, swinging weight to left hip with each step.
- To pivot body clockwise, stand with feet hip-width apart. Step right foot to front, right, back, and left, swinging weight to right hip with each step.
- Take large step to left side. Bring right foot to left foot.
- Take large step to right side, bringing left foot to right foot.
- Repeat Steps 1 and 2.
Exercise: Lateral Stretch
- Stand with feet turned out and knees bent, then raise arms until palms are parallel to the ground.
- Keeping lower body steady, shift torso from side to side.
- Keep tail bone lengthening down and focus on drawing the belly button toward spine for support.
- Do for 30 seconds side-to-side, pulse in the middle, then repeat 30 seconds for a total of 2 minutes.
Exercise: Funky Chair
- Stand with feet together, knees bent, and hips dropped low as if sitting into a chair behind you. (Beginners can use wall for balance.)
- Bend right leg and rest on left knee. Legs will create a figure-4 pattern.
- Raise and rotate arm(s) inward and alongside ears.
- Fold forward at waist, sweeping arm(s) toward floor and then up to frame head. Balance checks: keep abdominals pulled toward spine, and pulse gently in position.
- Build up to holding position for 30 seconds. Repeat on other leg.
Photo courtesy Lisa Masterson.
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now