This trio of lettuces is a whole lot of goodness for very little effort.
Ellie’s 5-Minute Salad: Tricolor Salad with White Beans and Parmesan
(Makes 4 servings)
- 5 cups lightly packed arugula (about 5 ounces)
- 1 head radicchio, core removed, sliced
- 2 Belgian endives, bottom ½ inch removed, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can white beans (such as cannellini; preferably low-sodium), drained and rinsed
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 Italian breadsticks
- In large bowl, toss together arugula, radicchio, endive, beans, and Parmesan.
- In small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and salt.
- To serve, place 3 cups of salad into large bowl or lunch container. If preparing a salad to-go, put 1 ½ tablespoons of dressing into small container. Toss with dressing right before eating. Serve with breadsticks on side.
Per Serving (3 cups salad,
1 ½ tablespoons dressing,
Total fat: 20 g
Carbohydrate: 29 g
Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 15 g
Sodium: 540 mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 ½ starch, 1 ½ nonstarchy vegetable, 1 lean meat, 4 ½ fat.
Recipe and photo from So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week, by Ellie Krieger. www.elliekrieger.com © 2009 by Ellie Krieger. Used with permission. All rights reserved.
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now