When local berries are out of season and supermarket ones are costly, this berry parfait made with lemon curd is an easy way to enjoy even a few fresh blueberries and strawberries. For something more casual, spread the lemon curd on whole-grain toast then top with fresh berries.
When berries are plentiful, make a lavish spread with big, frosty looking blueberries mixed with jeweled strawberries on bamboo skewers. Have a crystal bowl on the side filled with homemade lemon curd dip for a truly elegant dessert. For dipping, lemon curd should be looser and less sweet than the classic curd. You can achieve this by making it with less butter and sugar.
Lemon Curd Dip
(Makes 6 servings)
- 3 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, thinly sliced and chilled
- In heavy, medium saucepan, whisk to combine egg yolks, sugar, and lemon juice. Over medium-low heat, cook while whisking constantly until mixture looks silky and lightly coats spoon. (When you run a finger down back of spoon, it should leave a clear line.) This takes up to 10 minutes. If mixture starts to steam, reduce heat.
- Off heat, add cold butter and whisk rapidly until combined. Scoop lemon curd into bowl or serving bowl and let stand until room temperature.
- Cover lemon curd with plastic wrap, pressing against surface, and refrigerate curd for at least 12 and preferably 24 hours. It will thicken as it chills. Lemon curd keeps for 4 days, tightly covered in refrigerator.
- To serve, see Berry Parfait with Lemon Curd Dip or place bowl of chilled lemon curd on large plate and surround it with berries.
Per serving (3 tablespoons)
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Carbohydrate: 24 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 18 g
Sodium: 5 mg
Berry Parfait with Lemon Curd Dip
(Makes 1 serving)
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt, divided
- ¼ cup berries in season, divided
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Curd Dip, divided (see recipe above)
- 1 whole strawberry for garnish
In a parfait glass, layer 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon berries, 1 ½ tablespoon lemon curd dip. Repeat layers with 2 tablespoon yogurt, 1 ½ tablespoon berries, 1 ½ tablespoon lemon curd. Top with 1 tablespoon yogurt, remaining blueberries and whole strawberry.
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 3.5 g
Carbohydrate: 29 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 7 g
Sodium: 25 mg
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now