The inspiration for this healthy snack came from a Downtown Elgin Harvest Market intern who read an article in the Chicago Tribune about the negative effects of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos. So chef Quincy Owens, Brianne Durfey, and Kelly Drought decided to find a healthy alternative to the popular processed snack. In their Flamin’ Broccs recipe, the raw broccoli florets have the crunch and the Tex-Mex spice adds enough flavor to make it a tasty, healthy substitute.
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 tablespoons Tex-Mex seasoning (We used Mike’s Tex-Mex Chipotle Seasoning by Let’s Spice It Up. The mixture includes sea salt, adobo, sweet smoked paprika, chipotle, granulated onion, and chile ancho powder.)
- Thoroughly clean head of broccoli by soaking and rinsing with water.
- Cut broccoli into bite size florets.
- Put seasoning into small bowl, and pour 1 cup water into another small bowl. Dip floret into water, then directly into bowl of seasoning.
- Eat and enjoy your Flamin’ Broccs!
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now