This yoga move lengthens the side of the waist while activating the entire core. “The side body is often neglected in fitness, and this beautiful expression helps with full body balance, strength, flexibility, and mobility,” says Elise Joan, Beachbody Super Trainer and creator of Barre Blend.
- Stand facing long edge of yoga mat with arms out at shoulder height and toes of both feet angling to the right short edge.
- Step right leg forward, bending knee over ankle about 90 degrees (depending on hip mobility).
- Reach right arm up and back over head. Be sure to take a side stretch, not a back bend.
- Rest left arm gently on outer left leg.
- Repeat on other side with toes angling to the left short edge of mat.
Repetitions: Work up to 2 sets, 3 times weekly.
This article is featured in the May/June 2020 issue of The Saturday Evening Post. Subscribe to the magazine for more art, inspiring stories, fiction, humor, and features from our archives.
Featured image: Shutterstock
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now