Zucchini Grilled Cheese
(Makes 6 servings)
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 12 ½-inch-thick slices baguette, cut on a bias
- One 8-ounce piece fontina cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- In small bowl, mix butter, garlic, parsley, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Set aside.
- Using vegetable peeler and working from stem end, shave zucchini lengthwise into ribbons that are about 1/16-inch thick and set aside.
- Using vegetable peeler, shave fontina into thin slices and set aside.
- Place baguette slices on heavy baking sheet. Broil baguette slices for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and turn bread over.
- Spread each of untoasted sides of bread with 1 teaspoon of garlic-herb butter. Roll up zucchini ribbons to make rounds. Place 3 zucchini rounds over each slice of toast. Divide cheese among toasts, making sure to cover tops of zucchini completely with cheese.
- Broil for about 1½ minutes, or until cheese has melted and is runny. Remove from oven, crack black pepper over cheese, and serve immediately.
Make-Ahead: The garlic butter can be made up to 3 days ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Allow butter to come to room temperature before using.
Total Fat: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Sodium: 599 mg
Carbohydrate: 18 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 14 g
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 lean protein, 0.5 vegetable, 4.5 fat
Recipe and photo © Curtis Stone
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now