Salad on a stick? We gave the classic Italian salad a brand new look, and made it fun for the whole family! We skewered the mouth-watering combination of creamy mozzarella, fresh sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, and homegrown basil, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt.
Caprese Salad on a Stick
(Makes 1 skewer/serving)
- ¾ ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (approximately 3 round cheese balls)
- 3 basil leaves
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Bamboo skewer
- Assemble cheese, basil, and tomato, in order, onto skewer, until all ingredients are on stacked beautifully on the skewer.
- Drizzle olive oil over assembled skewer, and add a pinch of sea salt if desired. Enjoy!
Total fat: 9 g
Carbohydrate: 2 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 4 g
Sugars: 1 g
Sodium: 320 mg
Recipe courtesy of Kids Eat Right.
Sea Salt and Lime Grilled Fish Tacos
Recipe courtesy of the Food Channel
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 pound (1-inch thick) red snapper fish fillets
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa verde
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw blend
- 16 avocado slices (about 2 small avocados)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 limes, cut in half
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Combine lime juice, cilantro, oil, and red snapper in large zip top bag; marinate in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
For creamy salsa verde, combine salsa and mayonnaise in mini food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.
Remove fish from marinade, season with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and place on hot grill. Grill fish for 6 minutes on each side and remove. Let rest several minutes then flake fish with fork.
Place lime halves on grill, flesh side down, along with tortillas for 1 minute or until limes are grill marked and one side of tortillas are toasted. Remove and bend tortillas, toasted side out, into taco-shape.
Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup slaw and 2 slices avocado. Divide fish evenly among tacos and drizzle each with 1 tablespoon sauce. Sprinkle with remaining sea salt and serve with grilled lime half.