Let’s give a big shout-out to the sensational sweet potato! This versatile veggie is widely available, inexpensive, and delicious. But here’s even more to love: sweet potatoes also deliver a big dose of healthy eating for just pennies per serving.
The nutritional numbers speak for themselves: one medium sweet potato provides 40 percent of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C to fight off colds and flu viruses and vitamin D for bones and a healthy immune system. Plus, when eaten with the skin, it has more fiber than oatmeal. The colorful and creamy food is also low in fat and a good source of protein and calcium.
- So, whether sweet potatoes are a perennial favorite or making their debut in your holiday spread, try out these ideas:
- Bake or microwave, then top with butter pat and cinnamon. Try chili powder for a Southwestern twist.
- Grill, slice, and serve over greens.
- Purchase a bag of pre-chopped sweet potato from the produce section of your grocery store. Enjoy as a snack, or in salads and soups.
- Mash baked sweet potatoes with shallots, curry powder, cinnamon, and ground red pepper to taste.
One Medium Sweet Potato
Percent Daily Value: Fat 0%
Total Carbs: 10%
Vitamin: A 500%
Vitamin C: 45%
Vitamin D: 60%
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now