Crisp and Custardy Popovers
(Makes 6 servings)
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups low-fat milk, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 ⅔ cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Position rack in center of oven, allowing enough room above rack for popovers to rise, and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush softened butter thickly over 6 cups of popover pan or 12 cups of muffin pan and preheat pan in oven for 3 minutes, or until very hot.
- In blender, blend milk, eggs, flour, salt, and melted butter to form smooth thin batter.
- Divide batter among cups of hot pan and immediately return to oven.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until popovers are puffed and deep golden brown. Serve immediately.
These must be eaten hot from the oven.
- Calories: 251
- Total Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Sodium: 76 mg
- Carbohydrate: 30 g
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 10 grams
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat
Featured image: Photo by Ray Kachatorian
Become a Saturday Evening Post member and enjoy unlimited access. Subscribe now